Eye of the Wind
Eye of the Wind, originally called Friedrich, was built in 1911 in Germany for the South American hide trade. In 1923, she was sold to Sweden and carried general cargo under the name Merry. Three years later her first engine was installed and gradually her rig was reduced and altered to a ketch, but after a fire in 1969 when her wheel house and poop deck were destroyed, her old iron hull was sold to square rigger enthusiasts who began rebuilding her.
During the 1970s she was fitted out as a brigantine in Faversham, Kent and circumnavigated the globe as her first voyage as the Eye of the Wind. She has since appeared in many films including Blue Lagoon, Savage Islands, Taipan and as the ill-fated Albatross in White Squall. Eye of the Wind raced in all five races of Tall Ships 2000.
Country of Registration UK
Year built 1911